Saturday, December 4, 2010

Relief (sigh)....

Ok, so I guess I won't quit taking my vitamins. I really loaded up on them when I started getting sick and they didn't seem to help at all. But today I woke up and I feel quite a bit better. This is surprising because as I was sitting at work yesterday morning I gradually was going down hill. I ended up leaving work early, around 1:00. No workout for me yesterday, just to the grocery store (imagine that) and then home to rest.

Usually I despise the grocery store. I would rather walk across hot coals than grocery shop...ok, thats a little dramatic, but it is terrible. This is probably because I always find myself there at the busiest time of day, around 6-7pm when everyone and their mama is also there. Their all rushing around like chickens with their heads cut off. People will almost run you over with their carts and not even say sorry. It's just so hectic and people are so rude, I can't stand it. But yesterday was an exception. I actually enjoyed my time at the grocery store and it started when I pulled in the parking lot. There was an elderly man gathering carts and he was pulling one from the spot I was about to park in. He gave me the biggest smile and wave and just really brightened my day. Once I was inside I hit the deli counter. Another lady and I got there at exactly the same time and she told me to go first. I ordered "half a pound of sweet ham (Scott's favorite)"...and then the lady said "awesome! you might as well keep it out cause thats what I'm getting too!". So then we proceeded to bond over how amazing this ham is. And it really is, I say that I buy it just for Scotty, but truth is I sneak a few slices here and there as well. She wished me a happy holiday and I advanced to the other end of the deli counter where the subs and wraps are made. I had to wait in line for about 5 minutes before it was my turn. The lady at the counter thanked me for waiting patiently and then as she was putting my wrap together she told me that she was having a day from H-E-double hockey sticks. I told her that I was sorry and that mine wasn't so great either because I'd felt like poo for about the past week. But then she got really excited when she told me that she had Saturday off and it was the first one in a while. I put my wrap in the cart and we wished each other to have nice weekends. After I loaded all of my other goodies in the cart it was time to check out. The little old lady, who was very cute and a little pleasantly plump, rang all of my items up and as she got the last one, the December copy of Fitness magazine, she cackled as she looked at the cover and said "Well crap! They didn't tell me they were using me on the cover again!"...we both cracked up and the little guy bagging up my groceries thought we were a little crazy. But he also brightened my day a little. Not sure what sort of illness he had, but I could tell that he had difficulty speaking and seeing as well. Turns out he was due to get off work in 2 hours and he was overjoyed because a new episode of his favorite show "Smallville" was coming on last night. He proceeded to tell me just about everything that had happened this season thus far, and what was going to happen on last night's episode as well. It probably caused me to stay in the grocery store an extra five minutes, which on an ordinary day would've killed me, but I was actually having fun. If this is how the grocery store is every day at 1:30, I wish I could make it there at that time every time I go...but unfortunately I have a job.

Once I got home and unpacked all of my goodies I went straight to bed. I slept until about 7:00 and woke up starving. I discovered that Scott had brought me home a little side dish of my favorite pasta salad from Jason's Deli...
I sorta forgot to take a picture until it was almost empty, but this stuff is the shiznit. Rotini noodles, black olives, broccoli and red peppers in a light Italian dressing. I think I could eat it with every meal...probably not a good idea though. I also snuck a few slices of his favorite ham.

Then I went back to bed for a while longer and woke up hungry again. I usually don't let myself have dessert if it's a rest day from the gym...but I was feeling extra sorry for myself. We also don't really keep dessert in our house so I had to throw some things together and make the best of it...it turned out darn tasty too.
Thats a huge honeycrisp apple diced into cubes, drizzled with honey and brown sugar, microwaved for a couple of minutes...yum!

After dessert I read some magazines and then dozed off for the night (Scotty is in Miami with his buddy from San Diego for the night).

This morning I awoke feeling pretty darn good. Still coughing up some stuff that I won't bother to post a picture of, and my head is still fairly congested. But overall it's a major improvement. I took Mercedes out for her business first thing and then made myself a whole wheat bagel-thin topped with whipped peanut butter and sugar-free blackberry jam.
I didn't actually eat that banana but thought it made the perfect mouth for a smiley face :) I also ate another honeycrisp apple...I really have to eat a lot of these things before they go out of season, they're my favorite.

Now I'm about to head to the gym, here's the plan for today:
30 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes stair mill, leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises, butt blasters, hip adductors and hip abductors.

Hopefully I can make it through that without making myself worse again. Tomorrow is morning spin class and then Monday starts half marathon training...can't wait!!!! Ta ta for now!

Whitney

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! It's awesome, and Jason's Deli is one of my favorite places to eat. They have such tasty food, and a lot of healthy choices too! Now I'm craving it...

    ReplyDelete